Recent Past Auctions
(May 09, 2020 2:00 pm)
(March 28, 2020 2:00 pm)
(February 29, 2020)
(December 14, 2019 2:00 pm)
News & Information
Art Auction Of Prominent New York Graffiti Artist John "Crash" Matos. Manor Auctions is offering nearly 30 works of John "Crash" Matos to include originals and limited prints. The art auction of John Matos (American, b.1961) works takes place on December 14th during the first session of Manor's December 2013 Art, Jewelry, Timepiece & Collectible Auction.
Matos got his start at the age of 13 as a New York graffiti. As a graffiti artist, Matos did full murals and complete paintings, instead of the quick and simple "tagging" technique which was most commonly known as and associated with graffito. It was these larger impressive murals and paintings on old buildings and trains throughout New York which first brought attention to Matos and his art. In 1980, Crash curated the now iconic exhibition:"Graffiti Art Success for America" at Fashion MODA, launching the graffiti movement that has remained very active through today. By the 1980s Matos had exhibits across the United States and abroad.
In 1996, Crash painted an Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster and gave it to the artist as a gift. Clapton went on to use the guitar Crash had specially made for him through his 2001 tour and later appeared with another. Over the years, Crash has created 5 guitars for Clapton, though only three of them have made public appearances. These specially designed on-of-a-kind guitars have come to be affectionately known as "Crashocasters". One of Clapton's "Crashocasters" (nicknamed by Eric's former guitar tech, Lee Dickson) auctioned for $321,100 (USD) by the name of "Crash-3" and was used extensively during the first Crossroads Guitar Festival in 2004.
Manor is offering this collection of John "Crash" Matos artwork on behalf of the estate of Edward Albritton who was an avid fan and collector of Matos and other art. Everyone is welcome to participate and bid in the December 14th, 2013 auction - Visit the Auction Page for Bidding Information & Details.
The following is a list of John "Crash" Matos art being offered in the auction:
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) AMERICAN THUNDERBIRDS LITHO, 51192
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) 5 LEX AVE LITHOGRAPH UNFRAMED, 51193
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) AMERICAN THUNDERBIRDS LITHO, 51194
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) "CRASH" LITHOGRAPH, 51195
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) GREEN FIST SILKSCREEN, 51196
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) AFTER LICHTENSTEIN SILKSCREEN, 51197
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) PARIS REVIEW SCREAM SILKSCREEN, 51198
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) CRAASH FIST SILKSCREEN, 51199
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) CRAASH FIST SILKSCREEN, 51200
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) PAINTBRUSH GICLEE ARTIST PROOF, 51201
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) UNTITLED (EZ) MIXED MEDIA, 51202
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) DANCER SERIES SILK SCREEN, 51203
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) DANCER SERIES SILK SCREEN, 51204
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) LAS PALMAS PR ACRYLIC ON CANVAS, 51205
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) SECRETS ACRYLIC ON CANVAS, 51206
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) THROUGH THE FIRE #3 CANVAS, 51207
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) LUCKY STRIKE #1 ORIGINAL CANVAS, 51208
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) SPELLBOUND YOSEMITE SAM CANVAS, 51209
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) ON HER PERCH #1 ORIGINAL CANVAS, 51210
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) OUTSIDE/INSIDE ORIGINAL CANVAS, 51211
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) POSTMARK WATERCOLOR ON ARCHES, 51212
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) CAMPBELL SOUP WATERCOLOR, 51213
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) VAROOM PIN UP WATERCOLOR, 51214
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) MIGHTY THOR WATERCOLOR/ARCHES, 51215
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) SILVER SURFER WATERCOLOR/ARCHES, 51216
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) STEVE ROGERS WATERCOLOR/ARCHES, 51217
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) UNTITLED WATERCOLOR/ARCHES, 51218
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) MIXED MEDIA ON ARCHES, 51219
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) LOCAL 1 2007 SUBWAY GRAFFITI, 51220
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) TAGGED GRAFFITI PURSE, 51221
- CRASH (JOHN MATOS) VINYL FLOOR CUSHIONS, 51222
Manor Auctions specializes in the valuation, marketing and sale of Fine Art. Representatives are available nationwide. Submit your complimentary auction consignment evaluation today.
Auctioneers & Appraisers
AB3070 | AU4181
Graduate Personal Property Appraisers (USPAP, GPPA)
Principal Auction Gallery:
- 6200 20th St.
Vero Beach, FL 32966
(Inside Indian River Mall - Near Center Court)
- Vero Beach: 772-217-2909 or 850-523-3787
Vero Beach, FL
Sun City, FL
Traveling Nationally For Fine Collections & Estates
- Manuscript Society
- NGC Certified Coin Dealers
- Jewelers Board of Trade
- American Numismatic Assoc.
- Florida United Numismatics
- National Auctioneers Assoc.
- Graduate Property Appraisers
Online Auction Platform Partners